Keeping up with the Taylor Tots

There is never a dull day around here!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Paul arrives!



Paul Warwick Taylor entered the world at 3:37 am weighing 7 lbs and 20 1/2 inches long. I was able to have another natural delivery, although Paul's birth was much calmer than Alice's. My water broke as I was waking from a nap at 4:30 in the afternoon on Wed the 28th. No contractions yet...calls made to Robert, our Doula, and all the grandparents were made. By the time Robert came home my contractions had begun and we began making final preps for the night ahead...overnight bag-check, MaMa here for Alice-check. Our Doula Lin arrived just after 9:00 and contractions were 4-5 min apart and lasting about 45 sec. I labored around the house and took a walk around the neighborhood with my "labor posse" watchin my every move! around 11:45 things started to get more serious and we called the doctor. We checked in around 12:15 and I was measured at 7 cm, 100% effaced and baby was engaged. I was attached to an IV to receive fluids and an antibiotic and the fetal monitor briefly...then I was free to wander again. Our Doula had our lights down low, some calming aromatherapy, and instruction for quiet voices and no talking policy during contractions to allow me to focus. I also had my ipod humming with some tunes from Sting. I didn't wander around long...I entered transition and was ready for pushing shortly after 3 am. The doctor announced "you have a boy" and it was a very surreal moment. I remember looking at Robert and seeing the huge grin appear across his face as he looked for the first time at his son. We named him Paul to honor my father and grandfather, and Warwick to honor Robert, his father and grandmother. Alice has grown into her role as sister quite nicely and is a big helper when it comes to Paul. Their first meeting was fraught with jealously and Paul was promptly removed from Mommy's arms so that Big Sis could claim her spot. By the second day she held his hand and kissed him. Now she protects him whenever other toddler friends want to touch her baby brother (my Paul!) and will run to get his paci when he cries. I can tell they are going to be a great team!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

The pictures are beautiful! Such precious babies!

Katy said...

Fun to see you blogging again!
It sounds like labor went smoothly for you and I am so glad. Both of your children are so beautiful Kristin! I am so happy for you! I am impressed with two natural deliveries... I had one natural.. and the other 3.. not so much :) My babies come so fast though.. my last was induced so she wouldn't be born in the car. :) Both 3rd and 4th born in about an hour.
Anyway.. what a beautiful family.. you look so happy and I am glad because you truly deserve it :)

Katie said...

So cute! And much congrats on baby boy!! LOVE that you have a blog...should help us keep "in touch" better. You're FANTASTIC!!!